The Laboratory for Innovative and Sustainable Supply Chain Management has the mission to support all stakeholders in improving supply chain operations through basic, applied and innovative research and teaching aimed at promoting innovation taking into account sustainability. The main objective is to solve problems related to sustainability and to improve innovation management know-how in supply chains.
The Laboratory of Innovative and Sustainable Supply Chain Management serves the research needs of the Department, conducting basic and applied research in the following scientific areas:
- Digital Supply Chain Transformation
- Application of modern technologies and processes in Procurement and Supply Management
- Use of cloud computing, Internet of Things (IoT) and blockchain technologies in the Supply Chain
- Supply chain traceability technologies
- Digitalization of freight transport
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning for big data analysis in supply chains
- Digital twins and predictive maintenance technology in supply chains
- Smart logistics
- Sustainability of business supply chains
- Sustainable logistics
- Organisational change in supply chains towards sustainability
- Climate change and supply chains
- Sustainable transport fleet management
- Humanitarian supply chains.
The Laboratory may carry out the following activities:
- It supports the coverage of the teaching and research needs of the Department at undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral and postdoctoral level, on topics that fall within the scope of the Laboratory’s activities.
- It carries out basic and applied research in its fields of expertise, with the aim of developing new knowledge and acquiring know-how, both theoretical and applied.
- It collaborates, following a decision of the competent body of the University of Piraeus, with Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs) of the country, recognized institutions of foreign countries, research and technological institutions of the country and foreign countries, if their scientific objectives coincide, are compatible or complementary with those of the Laboratory.
- It cooperates with public institutions, organisations, institutes and private companies in order to contribute to the study and solution of problems related to the subject of the Laboratory.
- It secures resources and sources of funding to support research in the areas of the Laboratory.
- It contributes to the creation of new modern and attractive first and second cycle curricula in the academic unit to which it belongs, as well as to the upgrading of existing ones, in the context of the scientific subjects of the Laboratory.
- It provides specialized services to third parties, natural or legal persons, in accordance with the applicable legislation and the purpose of the University of Piraeus, and in particular to public sector bodies, as defined by the applicable legislation.
- It undertakes the implementation of research and development projects/programs, the financial management of which is undertaken by the University of Piraeus, as well as the organization and provision of training programs through the Centre for Training and Lifelong Learning of the University of Piraeus in the cognitive subjects of the Laboratory.
- It undertakes industrial research within the framework of cooperation agreements with companies or industries in Greece or abroad.
- It organizes scientific lectures, workshops, seminars, symposia, conferences and other scientific events.
- Invites Greek and foreign renowned scientists to cooperate with the members of the Laboratory and to participate in the activities of the Laboratory.
- It puts under its auspices the realization of high quality publications and publications,
- Undertakes and commissions specialized projects to third parties, to serve the aims of the Laboratory.
- Associate with productive sectors and bodies of society and the economy in order to promote its broader scientific objectives and to give back to society.
- It shall undertake any other activity specified in its rules of procedure, provided that it promotes teaching, science and research.
- It shall secure resources and sources of funding to support research in the subjects of the Laboratory.